HISTORY OF YELLOWSTONE
The history of Yellowstone goes back more than 11,000 years. Native Americans used the park to live, hunt and to travel through. The Native American Minnetaree tribe called the river "Mi tsi a da zi," which means "Rock Yellow River." French fur trappers translated this to "Yellow Rock" or "Yellow Stone." In 1797 it was translated in english, hence Yellowstone was named. However doing more research I discovered it was not named because of the yellow rock but for the yellow snad stone bluffs in Billings, Montana.
It changed in 1872 when the United States declared Yellowstone as it's first National Park. Signed by President U.S. Grant on March 1st 1872.
Facts
Yellowstone is in the states of Wyoming, Montana and Idaho.
Larger than the states Rhode Island and Delaware combined.
Yellowstone River. Longest undammed river in the United States. 671 miles long.
Tuesday, December 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dude add pics its cool
ReplyDeleteWow, I like how you added facts to your post.
ReplyDeleteAbby
Good Job. I did not know anything about Yellowstone, but now I do. It was interesting. Great!
ReplyDeleteI sort of want to go to Yellowstone but it sounds a bit dangerous, I liked your opening sentence alot tough, IT ROCKS!!! Great Job!!!
ReplyDelete-Ry Guy
I really learned a lot about Yellowstone. Do you go there often? I want to go there one day now that I read your blog!
ReplyDeleteGreat Job! Your blog tells a lot of facts! and I learned a lot of things by reading your blog! Nice Job
ReplyDelete~May~
I really want to go to Yellowstone now after reading your blog! Sounds so fun (and scary)
ReplyDeleteNice. You really put lots of facts into your history.
ReplyDeleteThis blog made me reconsider where I am going on vacation in summer.
ReplyDelete